MEF 3.0 certification enables communication service and technology providers to validate that their solutions comply with the highest industry standards for performance, assurance, and agility.
MEF 3.0 Certification Validates Performance Excellence
MEF’s service and technology certification programs are designed to accelerate availability and adoption of MEF 3.0 solutions that address the most demanding networking needs of the digital economy. MEF 3.0 certification enables companies to validate that their services and technologies have met the highest levels of performance, assurance, and agility established by the industry’s defining authority for standardized network services. Certification also plays a critical role in accelerating the industry transformation to dynamic services across a global federation of automated networks by validating that the inter-provider commercial and business interface based on the MEF’s LSO Sonata Interface Reference Point (“IRP”) and orchestrated services are ready to interact in a seamless, standardized manner between business partners worldwide.
MEF 3.0 certification currently is available for (1) orchestration-ready MEF 3.0 Carrier Ethernet services and related technologies and (2) MEF 3.0 SD-WAN services and technologies. MEF also has been conducting a pilot certification program for MEF 3.0 LSO Sonata APIs for inter-provider service automation.
MEF 3.0 CE Certification
MEF 3.0 CE is the 3rd generation of MEF-defined CE services and represents the most developed set of standardized services in the MEF 3.0 family – incorporating dozens of published standards, substantially increasing capabilities, and raising the performance bar well above globally ubiquitous and widely certified CE 2.0 services.
Orchestration-ready MEF 3.0 CE services provide the highest level of performance, assurance, and agility available in the $60+ billion global CE services market. The comprehensive MEF 3.0 CE service portfolio includes a set of subscriber services (E-Line, E-LAN, E-Tree) and a set of operator services (Access E-Line, Access E-LAN, Transit E-Line, and Transit E-LAN). Certification currently is available for all these services except Access E-LAN and Transit E-LAN.
The MEF 3.0 CE Certification Blueprint specifies the service attributes and parameters to be verified in MEF 3.0 CE certification testing of MEF 3.0 CE subscriber services (E-Line, E-LAN, and E-Tree). The upcoming CE Services Test Requirements (MEF W91) standard currently specifies the service attributes and parameters to be verified in MEF 3.0 CE certification testing of operator Access E-Line and Transit E-line services and will in the future also cover subscriber services.
MEF's white paper MEF 3.0 Certification Business Case for Service Providers (March 2020) explores the many business benefits of becoming MEF 3.0 CE certifed, describes service provider market adoption of certification, and explains how to certify MEF 3.0 CE services.
MEF 3.0 SD-WAN Certification
In November 2019, MEF formally introduced the MEF 3.0 SD-WAN certification program to accelerate implementation of standardized SD-WAN services worldwide. The certification tests the service attributes and their behaviors defined in the SD-WAN Service Attributes and Services (MEF 70) standard and described in detail in MEF's draft SD-WAN Certification Test Requirements (MEF W90) standard.
MEF 3.0 LSO Sonata Certification
MEF 3.0 LSO Sonata certification enables buyers and sellers of wholesale MEF 3.0 CE services to validate that the suite of current and planned APIs used for inter-provider business transactions comply with MEF standards. This certification program will help companies develop, test, and certify all standardized LSO Sonata APIs for serviceability (address validation, site queries, and product offering qualification), product inventory, quoting, ordering, trouble ticketing, contracts, and billing as they become available.
In Q4 2019, MEF commenced the pilot certification program with an initial focus on automating ordering of MEF 3.0 CE Access E-Line services.
Key certification steps include::
2. Develop MEF 3.0 LSO Sonata Ordering API. The API test platform helps companies optimize development of the LSO Sonata Ordering API based on Ethernet Ordering Technical Standard: Business Requirements and Use Cases (MEF 57.1) and LSO Sonata SDK Release 4. The platform provides a structure within which API developers can develop code covering various use cases in an optimal manner and pre-validate their code at every step of development on a 24/7 basis.
3. Certify MEF 3.0 LSO Sonata Ordering API. Certification validates conformity of the LSO Sonata Ordering API to the upcoming MEF LSO Sonata Certification Test Requirements (MEF W92) standard, which together with the MEF 3.0 CE Access E-Line service certification provides a fully validated orchestrated service ready to interact with partners.
Benefits of MEF 3.0 Certification
MEF 3.0 certification benefits include:
- MEF’s certification brand and logo prove quality and value to customers.
- Presence on MEF's Certification Registry provides global visibility for certified services and products.
- On-demand testing supports agile DevOps for MEF 3.0 service and LSO API development.
- Testing can be used to harden the services and products during the development phase.
- Faster pre-production testing helps accelerate service and product time-to-market.
- Certification reduces testing requirements and associated costs when connecting with each Tier 1 service providers for wholesale transactions.