Scalable and Simulcast Video (SSV) Activity Group
What We Do
The Scalable and Simulcast Video AG (SSV AG) focuses on improving the interoperability of video communication systems that use scalable video coding, including simulcast, through open standards.
- Objective – Address interoperability of systems that use scalable coding, at the bitstream and transport levels. Development of requirements, test cases, system configurations and associated certification suites, exploration of system architectures and topologies, and identification ofsignaling requirements, for both scalable and simulcast-based architectures.
Problem Statement – Scalable video coding, starting with H.264 SVC, represents a significant departure from traditional video codec designs. Beyond just providing compression, it has made possible new architectures for video communication systems with improved features (lower complexity and delay, increased robustness, etc.). Scalability is already part of H.264, VP8, and HEVC, and will be part of VP9 as well as SHVC (the scalable extension to HEVC). Similarly, simulcast has also provided means for multi-layer representation of video. A generation of systems using so-called Selective Forwarding Units is now widely deployed. As with any new technology, ensuring interoperability requires the coordinated development of appropriate standards. Contrary to traditional single-layer codecs, where a coding specification and an RTP payload format specification may be enough, scalable coding and simulcast requires more extensive modifications and additions to signaling protocols as well. If these changes are performed by individual companies in isolation, then it will be impossible to ensure interoperability. The SVC/Video AG develops requirements for these new systems and thus assists the incorporation of appropriate support in related standards organizations. The group will address both SIP-based and H.323 systems, as well as WebRTC and mobile. The group will liaise with other bodies, including ITU-T and the IETF, to ensure alignment and avoid duplication of work.
How We Work Together
- Private e-mail reflector to exchange information and discuss issues.
- Conference calls every two weeks.
- Face-to-face meetings as required.
- Participation is generally limited to IMTC members.
The SVC/Video AG maintains active liaisons with the ITU-T and ISO/MPEG, and informally with the IETF.
- Download the UCI Forum Specification for SVC modes here
- Download the UCI Forum Specification for SVC RTP Transport here
How to Join