MEF 3.0 certification enables communication service and technology providers to validate that their solutions comply with the highest industry standards for performance, assurance, and agility.
MEF 3.0 Certification Validates Performance Excellence
MEF's service and technology certification programs are designed to accelerate availability and adoption of MEF 3.0 solutions that address the most demanding networking needs of the digital economy. Customers who purchase MEF 3.0 certified solutions have the comfort of knowing that they have met the highest levels of performance, assurance, and agility established by MEF - the world's defining authority for standardized network services.
MEF 3.0 certification currently is available for the full suite of orchestration-ready MEF 3.0 CE services and the technologies used to support them.
In 2019, MEF introduced certification programs for (1) MEF 3.0 LSO Sonata for inter-provider service automation and (2) MEF 3.0 SD-WAN services and technologies. Both of these programs currently are in the pilot phase.
MEF 3.0 CE Certification
MEF 3.0 CE certification is the third generation of MEF's globally recognized certification program for Carrier Ethernet services and technologies, superseding the popular CE 2.0 and CE 1.0 programs which have been phased out. More than 25 companies have received MEF 3.0 CE certification, including 16+ service providers and 10+ technology vendors.
MEF 3.0 CE certification is available across the complete MEF 3.0 CE service portfolio that includes subscriber services (E-Line, E-LAN, E-Tree) and operator services (Access E-Line, Access E-LAN, Transit E-Line, and Transit E-LAN).
The MEF 3.0 CE Certification Blueprint specified the service attributes and parameters to be verified in the first phase of MEF 3.0 CE certification testing. The upcoming CE Services Test Requirements (MEF W91) standard specifies the service attributes and parameters to be verified during the next phase of testing.
MEF 3.0 CE certification is delivered through MEF’s testing partner, Iometrix, on an on-demand cloud-based virtual test platform that empowers companies to certify that their solutions comply with the latest releases of MEF 3.0 CE standards.
Key steps in the MEF 3.0 CE certification process include:
2. Test - Access the portal, enter service parameters, and launch tests.
3. Validate - Submit test results for validation and receive certification and a related report.
MEF 3.0 SD-WAN Certification
In November 2019, MEF formally introduced the MEF 3.0 SD-WAN certification program to accelerate implementation of standardized SD-WAN services worldwide. The certification tests the service attributes and their behaviors defined in the SD-WAN Service Attributes and Services (MEF 70) standard and described in detail in the upcoming MEF SD-WAN Certification Test Requirements (MEF W90) standard.
Seven service and technology providers have been participating in the pilot phase of the MEF 3.0 SD-WAN certification program. MEF announced the first group of certified MEF 3.0 SD-WAN technology vendors in January 2019 and is on track to announce the first certified service providers later in Q1/20.
MEF 3.0 LSO Sonata Certification
MEF's pilot MEF 3.0 LSO Sonata certification program for inter-provider service automation is now open for participation by MEF member companies.
More than 60 service providers are supporting development and implementation of LSO Sonata APIs with the goal of driving frictionless inter-provider business processes and faster service delivery. This certification program is a critical component of MEF’s strategy to ensure worldwide adoption of APIs for serviceability (address validation, site queries, and product offering qualification), product inventory, quoting, ordering, trouble ticketing, contracts, and billing as they become available. Certification will enable buyers and sellers of wholesale MEF 3.0 services to validate that their APIs used for inter-provider business transactions comply with MEF standards.
In Q4 2019, MEF commenced the pilot certification program with an initial focus on automating ordering of MEF 3.0 CE Access E-Line services. Thirteen service providers representing every major geographic region of the world are participating in the pilot, with the first certified companies expected to be announced in Q1/20.
Conducted in concert with MEF testing partner Iometrix, the pilot program involves three major steps associated with published MEF 3.0 CE and LSO Sonata standards:
1. Certify MEF 3.0 Access E-Line Service. Service providers validate compliance with MEF 3.0 CE Access E-Line service standards as described in the upcoming MEF 91 standard.
2. Develop MEF 3.0 LSO Sonata Ordering API. The API test platform helps companies optimize development of the LSO Sonata Ordering API based on Ethernet Ordering Technical Standard: Business Requirements and Use Cases (MEF 57.1) and LSO Sonata SDK Release 4. The platform provides a structure within which API developers can develop code covering various use cases in an optimal manner and pre-validate their code at every step of development on a 24/7 basis.
3. MEF 3.0 LSO Sonata Ordering API. The final stage of certification validates conformity of the LSO Sonata Ordering API to the upcoming MEF LSO Sonata Certification Test Requirements (MEF W92) standard, which together with the MEF 3.0 CE Access E-Line service certification provides a validated orchestrated service ready to interact with partners across the globe.
Benefits of MEF 3.0 Certification
MEF 3.0 certification benefits include:
- MEF’s certification brand and logo prove quality and value to customers.
- Presence on MEF's Certification Registry provides global visibility for certified services and products.
- On-demand testing supports agile DevOps for MEF 3.0 service and LSO API development.
- Testing can be used to harden the services and products during the development phase.
- Faster pre-production testing helps accelerate service and product time-to-market.
- Certification reduces testing requirements and associated costs when connecting with each Tier 1 service providers for wholesale transactions.